How many bricks do I need?
If you know your brickwork area we can calculate the number of bricks you require using our handy calculator below.
You will need bricks ( including 5% for breakages)
How do we work it out?
- To calculate the number of bricks you require we calculate the area of a brick first.
- We can't just do this by multiplying the height and length of a brick though as we have to take into account the size of the mortar joint.
- In most cases the size of the mortar joint is 10mm.
- To include the size of the mortar joint we need to add this to the top or bottom and one side of the brick.
- Simply add the size of the mortar joint to the height and length of the brick.
- Multiply the new height and length and you have the area of your brick.
- To calculate the number of bricks you need we now simply divide the brickwork area by the area of your brick (including size of mortar joint).
- We recommend you then add an extra 5% for wastage and breakages due to transport or just moving the bricks around your project. Some bricks can be quite fragile.